Neighborhood visitor


One day at the end of last week I was enjoying some backyard time in a comfortable chair when I saw a little hawk circling. He spent quite a bit of time perusing the neighborhood and I enjoyed watching his every wing dip and turn.

The next day I was inside since it was cloudy and cold again, when I heard a kee-kee, kee-kee, kee-kee. My hawk! I grabbed the camera and ran outside. The batteries were dead. I ran back inside and grabbed the other camera... batteries were dead. Back inside, got new batteries did a lightning-fast exchange still hearing the kee-kee, kee-kee and back outside to begin my search. Didn't take but a second to spot him at the tippy-top of my neighbor's tree. Kee-kee, kee-kee, kee-kee he continued on. Nothing alarmed him. The neighbor's dogs barking didn't change his cadence, my venturing closer and closer with the camera didn't ruffle even one feather. Thus the first picture where you can barely see him at the top of the tallest tree, to the second photo, as close as I dared to get without making this wonderful little red-shouldered hawk take flight. He eventually did soar away and I have caught a glimpse of him only once since then.

What a wonderful neighborhood visitor. Noisy, but welcome anytime.

No comments: