Frowning defender

When I was a kid we used to build sand castles and drip castles on the beach and one pretty much looked like any other. What a smile I got when I came upon this frowning sand face and all that surrounded it.  It reminded me of some ancient Aztec archeological find. The frowning face with its seaweed hair and sea oats headdress reminded me of a fierce and angry deity. The square buildings with seashell toppings, the trees, bridges and adornments all within the surrounding parapets could take one with imagination back in time. I wouldn't have been a bit surprised to see an Aztec warrior emerge from one of the sand buildings, shaking his spear at me.

Though the defender of the village was frowning, he certainly did put a smile on my face, and joy in my heart at the creativity of the builder who left his work of art for us to see.

No comments: