Harbinger of spring


There were blue skies hiding above the gray which gave me hopes for spring. Then just as I was arriving back at my house I could hear the real harbingers of spring. What a ruckus. There were hundreds and hundreds of robins flying from one tree to another and literally covering the yards. A real sign of hope that this unusually cold, windy and cloudy winter will actually be coming to an end. They made me feel like singing... "When the red, red, robin comes bob, bob, bobbing along..."

Or can one forget William Blake's: A robin redbreast in a cage, Puts all heaven in a rage.

With these thoughts of spring I of course was fascinated with the D.C. area's record snowfall this weekend and equally as glad it wasn't happening here. I have family in that area, spent my high school years in D.C. and this particular weekend had a friend visiting there. He flew up from a warm Key West and arrived with the snow... and no luggage. Fortunately some kind soul loaned him sweater, hat, gloves and a warm coat. I can't even imagine and was reminded to quit complaining... things can always be worse.

I'll rejoice in the happy prospect of a coming spring where life is once again renewed.

No comments: