Elephant in the room

Many years ago a friend who had just moved to Florida was on her way home from work and after seeing sheets draped over some bushes thought someone's wash had blown off the clothesline. As she saw more and more sheets, she thought it had been a windy day indeed. When the whole neighborhood had sheets draped over bushes and wrapped around palm trees she figured something was up. Yes, a freeze warning.

Last year we didn't have any freezing weather. This new year has started off with serious rain and thunder on New Year's day, now we have a freeze warning for every night this week. Very unusual for us. If it gets cold, it is usually only for a day or two. Ah well, at least we aren't shoveling show or dealing with ice storms. I won't complain.

My concern with freezing weather is for the safety of my jade plants. I have two HUGE jades thriving on my front porch. I've had them for over 30 years and they are from cuttings of my godmother's jade which was more than 50 years old when I took my cuttings. These plants are very special. I covered one to protect it but decided to see if I could get one of them inside the house. Phew! That big ol' thing got a couple of small limbs broken off as I hauled it through the door but inside it looks HUGE! Kind of like the elephant in the room. It doesn't look that big outside, but it is almost four feet tall, more than five feet wide and over four feet front to back. Definitely makes a statement in the living room.

What I hadn't thought about is that I may be bringing some critters inside with the plant. Yep, that's what happened... little lizards (so far no spiders, thank you very much.) Lizards move very slowly if at all when they are cold. When they warm up after being inside, they skitter around and my cat at one point had three to try to keep track of. Fun, fun, fun. I haven't seen her move that fast in years. It was fun for both of us... her chasing them, me watching her. Even this cold weather can bring some hidden joy.

No comments: