Shrimp... yum!

When I walked onto the beach this morning I saw shrimp boats all along the horizon... yum! I counted nine in all from this one spot. They're hard to see in this photo, just three little dots along the skyline but they were there and my taste buds started tingling. 

When we see those boats with their nets out it means the shrimp are running and the local seafood market will have a fresh supply of local shrimp. Nothing better! Gives me a Forrest Gump moment. Fried shrimp, boiled shrimp, shrimp salad, grilled shrimp, shrimp curry, shrimp cocktail or one of my family's favorites: shrimp purloo (pronounced PUR-low) a southern low-country dish of shrimp, rice, onions, peppers, tomatoes, garlic, bacon, and various seasoning. Makes me hungry just thinking about it, even at this early hour. You can bet I'll be headed to the seafood market tomorrow. 

See, just another thing to be grateful for. Fresh-caught shrimp have an entirely different taste and texture than the farm-raised varieties you find in the grocery store. However, even those I now salivate over at my local fish market don't compare to the shrimp my Dad used to catch from his little fishing boat. It was a lot of hard work but he could throw a ten-foot net like a pro and when the shrimp were running we'd be cleaning shrimp and Mom would be cooking up some really good eating. Those were the days and I'm certainly glad I have those memories.

Gee, how could I be this hungry for shrimp so early in the morning? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Because you have almost as good shrimp as the gulf of mex! Do not for get the gumbo file with okra and the rest! I always forget to check your blog. I have had more than a few steroid procedures for my bach and hope that is finished. I have slept for 3 days since the last one. We have not the sumptuous shrimp of the warm waters. We get what are called prawns. Need I say more. They are very prawny.