Nearby treasures


If I were still living in Maine we would have called it a Nor'easter. Here in Florida we don't have the cold rain along with the wind, but a 20 to 25 mph wind out of the Northeast makes for some difficult and chilly slogging while walking on the beach. Since my beach walks are for pleasure I went searching for somewhere else to enjoy the great outdoors. Little did I know that about 3 miles up the road the county has a park with nature trails. I knew the park was there but thought it was only recreational facilities, tennis courts, basketball, a beach pavilion and beach parking. What a delight to find that it also had a nature trail that lead all the way from the ocean to the river. This wonderful trail goes up hill and down dale, well actually up and down one sand dune after another. That had my leg muscles working and aching the next day. The trees and dense brush blocked the wind, or at least turned it into a pleasant breeze instead of a pounding gale. I have now been there three days in a row with great pleasure. The photos above are from the beginning of the trail to the fishing dock on the river at its end. Roundtrip is a little less than 2 miles. 

Again I am reminded that one can find hidden treasures and hidden pleasures in the most unlikely places. Taking the time to look beyond the obvious is sometimes quite a reward in and of itself.

No comments: