100 years!

Today marks what would have been my Dad's 100th birthday. Dad was the fifth child and the baby in his family. He grew up right here in Florida and there was no indoor plumbing, no telephones, of course no TV and only a few of the wealthiest had automobiles. Where my house stands now, was part of the woods my Dad and his friends used to play in as kids. It boggles my mind to consider what has transpired during the past 100 years.

My Dad was my favorite person on earth. He was a great outdoorsman and regularly took me fishing, hunting or playing golf. He taught me how to tie my shoes, how to drive, and how to do almost everything a kid needs to learn. I used to follow him around his workplace and had to run to keep up with his long stride. He was a handsome man, had a great sense of humor and was a born storyteller. Best of all he loved me as much as I loved him. He has been gone 17 years now and I still miss him, though to be honest I still talk to him quite often. 

The above picture is quintessential Dad, and a larger version hangs over my fireplace. I say "catching anything?" to him quite often. Someday he's going to answer me and I'll jump right out of my skin! Happy 100th birthday, Daddy!


No comments: