Onions on the beach?

Winds were strong out of the East and I could hear the ocean's roar as I approached. I do wish I was technically advanced enough to include sound with this blog. The waves were huge and there is nothing like the sound of the ocean on a perfect beach day, the temperature was just right, the sun was shining, and there were... onions on the beach, huh?

No kidding, my first thought was that someone had spilled a jar of those little white pearl onions. They were everywhere, hundreds of them, little jellyfish that looked just like onions. I'd never seen anything like them. Big ones, tiny ones and every size in between. The farther I walked the more of them I saw. There must have been thousands. Incredible.

But that's not all, there were also many, many little Portuguese men-of-war washed up on the shore. See my Feb. 2009 post on these creatures. They were no larger than three to four inches but could still deliver quite a sting to the uninformed.
Then lo and behold after seeing so many little jellyfish I came across a very large one. This big guy must have been 14 to 16 inches across. My oh my, those strong East winds were blowing all kinds of critters ashore.
What a squishy beach day it turned out to be and believe me... I loved every delicious minute of it.

No comments: