Change of venue

This week I decided to go to the farmer's market in a neighboring county. The vendors set up on a square right by the beach and with a full plate for the day my plan was to combine my beach walk with a visit to the market. It is amazing that just 12 miles up the road the beach is so different from what I've become used to. It was low tide and there is still plenty of our red coquina sand just like at my local beach. With the numerous tidal pools it was reminiscent of some strange Martian landscape. Very interesting and visually stimulating topography.
There is a pier where fishermen and sightseers gather and the coastal road runs right at the edge of the beach. I'm not used to the sounds of cars and trucks mixing with the sounds of the gulls and ocean. Nor am I accustomed to the smells wafting from the numerous restaurants along the roadway, but it made for some extraordinary sensory stimulation. 'Twas a new venture to say the least and I enjoyed it, but there's nothing quite so comforting as the familiar and I'll look forward to again walking along the sands at home.

No comments: