Shuttle thrills, again


No matter where we are, whenever a shuttle takes off many Floridians run outside to see it. At 2:28 this afternoon Atlantis headed to the space station. I was at the gym and had forgotten about the launch. I mentally kicked myself for not having my camera with me.

The takeoff was televised and everyone in the gym ran outside to see it firsthand. It was spectacular. The sky was a brilliant blue and the fiery rocket was easy to see, its contrail a brilliant white. As I lamented aloud my lack of camera, someone said "I've got my cell phone." I left the scene long enough to get my cell phone and managed to take two photos that I am sharing with you. I apologize for the quality, but found the photos of the contrail juxtaposed with the American flag very poignant. The shuttle was long gone, but its contrails were evidence of its power.

Like many, I still get goosebumps and a lump in my throat whenever the shuttle takes off and again when it lands. All of us gym goers admitted that we were certainly lucky to be able to witness this wonderful event.

No comments: