Mother Nature's EPA


It was quite windy this morning and few people braved our seaweed-littered beach. There were however many birds soaring on those strong East winds. I thrilled in the flight of several osprey, many large flocks of pelicans zoomed high overhead and then I saw this big guy with a face only its mother could love.

I first noticed him flying and swooping over and over around one particular area of beach and scrub at the high tide line. His wingspread was probably 6 feet and when I was close enough to see his rather small naked red head I knew it was a turkey vulture. Bleckh! I must admit to having negative feelings about vultures but they just keep our environment clean and are truly magnificent in flight. Fortunately I didn't have to witness his frenzied table manners today.

No comments: