Fall colors


Thankfully I have lived in New England, Washington D.C. and North Carolina which has given me the opportunity to see the changing colors of the leaves in autumn. One of the sad things about living in Florida is that we miss this rite of passage in the fall. We simply don't have many deciduous trees and those we do, it seem the leaves just dry out and fall off. No brilliant reds, oranges and yellows adorn our landscapes.

We do however get to revel in the colors of our golden rain trees. We see snippets of color in the landscape from these trees in October and November. The leaves do not turn color, but the trees put forth seed pods that from a distance look like bright salmon colored flowers. Some species are yellow, some a deep pink but all are lovely and a rare treat whenever you see one adorning the countryside.

Oh, I've just had a thought... since I recently lost an oak tree in my yard, maybe I should replace it with a golden rain tree! Wonderful idea! Next year I'll share pictures of my own tree with you. In the meantime, enjoy Florida's fall color above.

No comments: