Three thrills before 7 a.m.



It doesn't take much to thrill me nowadays and the way the sun was hidden behind the clouds this morning with its rays soaring both skyward and towards the sea was just simply stunning and helped start my beach walk with a smile. Then, when I saw from the distinctive tracks that a turtle had come ashore during the night to lay her egg it became a double thrill for the day. As I was taking the second photo above a young couple strolling the beach came up and asked me what the tracks were and I got to give them a nature lesson. They were vacationing here from Tennessee and were happy to learn about our sea turtles and their nesting habits.

Feeling quite satisfied with myself I continued on my way and came across another turtle track. This poor turtle instead of coming straight out of the surf and heading inland, trekked about 30 yards across the sand heading south from her point of entry. She had to dodge the pole from a volleyball net but in what I could assume from her tracks, finally made her nest then headed back the way she came — due north! I was glad to see an abrupt right turn that took her immediately to the surf and back out to the ocean. Phew!

A stunning sunrise, two new turtle nests all before 7 a.m. There isn't, in my opinion, a much better way to start the day.

No comments: