Celebrity Skimmers


About 10 days ago I once again saw the delightful looking black skimmer on the beach. See my "new bird on the beach" blog entry in January 2009. I took the top photo above but didn't publish it because the quality wasn't what I wanted it to be. However, this morning's local TV news featured what I'm sure is this pair -- they have become famous by making their nest on the beach in front of one of the larger hotels just 6 miles south of here.


I have since learned that this species is endangered because their habitat has been encroached upon by us humans and because they build their nests right in the sand which is subject to tides and storms as well as human traffic.


These birds are striking in their coloring. Black wings with white underneath and white bellies. The bright red band around their long bills is outstanding and eye catching in the contrast to their black and white coloring. They are called skimmers because with their very sensitive longer lower mandible they skim low just along the surface of the water scooping up fish as they go!


Sorry my photo doesn't do them justice, but check out the link below for a view of their outstanding feeding practices. Amazing! If you Google Black Skimmer you will also find a plethora of information. The best part was my delight at seeing these guys become TV celebrities.


http://www.bird-friends.com/BirdPage.php?name=Black%20Skimmer


No comments: