Digital plights and delights


Digital cameras are truly wonderful and I often ponder my years of picture taking without benefit of a digital camera. The amount of money spent of film and developing alone is simply mind boggling. The little inexpensive digital camera that I take to the beach is very handy but does have some foibles. Notice the photo of the sunrise above. Do you see the pod of dolphins frolicking just beyond the breaking waves? Of course not. Though I took many, many photos, that tiny digital shutter delay had my dolphins disappearing below the surface before the camera captured the moment. Drat! There were several people enjoying the same playful dolphin sighting and a couple of digital cameras trying to capture the occasion, but the dolphins proved elusive. Nice sunrise though, huh?

However, that same hesitation in shutter speed did let me capture the fleeing snowy egret you see above! I was attempting to take a shot of it fishing at the edge of the surf when it suddenly decided to depart. If it hadn't been for that slight delay in the digital shutter speed, I would have missed that lovely winged departure and what a shame that would have been. 

No comments: