Atlantis to Hubble


No matter how many shuttle liftoffs I witness, I still get goosebumps even on a 90º day like today. Lucky me gets to step outside my front door and take the photos above which I have the opportunity to share with you. 

The Atlantis mission that launched today (Monday, May 11) is taking our 7 astronauts on a mission to repair and upgrade the Hubble telescope. It is a very dangerous mission taking place 350 miles above Earth. Apparently there is so much space debris at that altitude the risk for this mission is greatly increased. Plus the repairs and upgrades to the telescope are complicated and will require five intricate and delicate space walks. NASA's assessment of the risks has made it necessary to have the shuttle Endeavor already on the launch pad waiting to take off on a rescue mission if necessary. 

All in all, I wish them a safe trip home in eleven days after a successful mission. I also wish I could better share the excitement of a shuttle launch with those who have never had the opportunity to experience the thrill.

No comments: