New bird on the beach...

If birds of a feather flock together, this guy was certainly odd man out! (I told a friend I must be getting old if seeing a new kind of bird is my thrill for the day!) During my beach walk, I noticed a bird with a large wingspan flying with his head at a strange angle to the ground and thought, huh? Then he landed right beside me and I was even more surprised. I had never seen a bird like it before. He had a large head, a very colorful beak with a band of red on it, yet the bird was surprisingly small considering his wingspan. He stood alone for a brief moment then went to join a group of gulls where he really did look like an oddball. After being ignored by them for a few seconds he flew away. I haven't seen another one since. Couldn't wait to get home to my bird book to find out that I had seen a Black Skimmer! Joy! 

No comments: