The enchanted forest

My nature walk took me through what can easily be called an enchanted forest. Looking off into the distance it was easy to imagine what the early settlers must have felt at the daunting foreverness of this expanse. My mind can almost catch a glimpse of early native Americans who hunted and fished and lived in this area. Earlier in my walk I felt somewhat alone, but gosh, I had my cell phone, my bottled water, a protein bar and the car was just 3 miles away. What a wimp!

It truly casts a spell when one realizes the early footsteps that trod here were absolutely alone, far from a comfortable place to sleep, perhaps far from the next meal and not a glimmer of imagination for such things as TVs, RVs, or even a grocery store. What strong stock we come from. I'm not sure I could live as they did... I'm also pretty sure they wouldn't be too comfortable if a time machine plunked them down in the world today either. For now I'll just let my imagination take me through this forest to a different world... that's the best I can do.

No comments: