Birding, beach style

Though I'm not an official bird watcher, one can not walk along the shore and not be attracted to the feathered friends along the way. Winter brings the royal terns that remind me of a couple of college professors I had.

A rare treat is the black skimmer. That's the cute little guy above with black wings, a white chest and long beak with a red strip around it — not to mention his red leggings. I usually see them in pairs but this one was alone, except for his new friend the tern. Skimmers are very rare and it was a real joy to see this one today.

Then I suppose after diving into the cold ocean to get your lunch, it's time to rest on the beach, just like this pelican was doing. He was giving me the eye as if telling me not to come any closer because he didn't intend to get up and move. I left him alone with a chuckle. He didn't move and when I came back 20 minutes later, he was still there... this time with eyes closed taking a snooze. What a life!


No comments: