Surprise beachgoer


Huddled inside my coat this morning due to Florida's record low temperatures, I was trudging along the beach right at the high tide mark. Even though it was about two hours from high tide, the nor'easter was pushing waves ashore right up to the vegetation that lines the beach. I was looking down but glanced up for a second and was almost eye to eye with a great blue heron. Surprised, I stopped, grabbed my camera and he was still just staring at me not a bit frightened, I guess because he was about my height. He let me take his picture, then turned and led me down the beach.

I should have guessed that he would walk as fast as I do with his long legs, but I got a really good chuckle as he walked in front of me for quite a distance. He finally went into the waterline to find his breakfast and I continued on my walk.

It is not often that I have company on my walks. Though not talkative, I really enjoyed walking with this big guy this morning. Made me entirely forget that I was cold!

No comments: