Strelitzia Nicolai

Strelitzia Nicolai... say what? Back in August I posted photos of my bird of paradise that has produced flowers for the first time since I planted it as a small plant four years ago. I'd never seen white and blue flowers on a Bird of Paradise and was fascinated.
Fortunately I have a very savvy friend who sent me a link to Strelitzia Nicolai, the White Bird of Paradise. When I first wrote about it there were four blooms, those are now gone but there are currently seven blooms and I can see a few more coming along. Unlike the red, yellow and orange varieties, these blooms are tucked deep within the fronds. Demurely hiding their beauty.
The information I received also said that this lovely plant could grow up to 30 feet tall and 10 feet wide! Yikes. I'm thinking I may eventually be overtaken by this behemoth. The same friend said it was reminiscent of Audrey 2 of Little Shoppe of Horrors fame. 
If I disappear, you'll know where to come look for me. 


No comments: