Reprieve

What a wonderful day it is today and a wonderful reprieve from our incredibly stormy weather over the weekend. That strange sub-tropical low pressure system along the coast was surprisingly powerful. Today is spectacular.
After two days of rain, Sunday night it seemed to hit its peak. I could hear limbs falling and things were hitting my roof and my windows that made me jump. Then there were fire trucks and police cars with lights flashing. What? A large oak limb had fallen on a power line on the street just west of me. No loss of power, thankfully, but a little neighborhood excitement and much cussing and discussing of the weather.
This morning the sun was out for the first time in 3 days and my yard is just full of tree debris. A neighbor lost half of a big oak which took out a Norway spruce on its way down. I worked in the yard for two hours and the only evidence that I did anything is the large pile of limbs and palm fronds for curbside pick up. I could see this was going to be a long chore. 
Since I hadn't been to the beach since Friday (today is Monday) I decided the bits and pieces of limbs and leaves could wait and off I headed. That glorious sunshine, stunning surf and reconnection with my favorite spot in the world was just what I needed to recharge my soul.
There was some beach erosion but Mother Nature will fix that over time. Amazingly, the turtle's nest that was laid on my birthday hatched last night... 
I can't imagine how those tiny turtles survived the storm and rough surf but apparently they made it. No little fellows stranded on the shore or in the seaweed. Hurrah!
The surf is fabulous, the sky is very blue and life is back to normal. Normal is good. 

No comments: