Leonard

This heron (or one who looks exactly like this one) I often see in the mornings very close to this location on the beach. Today it was still almost hard dark when I first passed by and his head was tucked under his wing, sound asleep. Not a feather fluttered as I passed. On my return though, the sun was making its ascent as was the head of this wonderful great heron. As is my wont I have named him. I call him Leonard.

Here's the story behind the name. Several years ago I worked with a fellow named Leonard who was very nice to me, helped me out during our hurricanes of 2004, and in turn I helped him with some computer projects, with his taxes, etc. After we both left that place of employment we lost touch and I hadn't seen or talked to Leonard in more than a year when I found out that he had died... at the age of 57. The morning after I heard the news I was walking on the beach thinking about Leonard and aloud I said, "Oh Leonard, I didn't know... I'm so sorry." At exactly that moment this great heron took off, flew what seemed like inches above my head with a very loud GWAAAK, GWAAAK! Scared me to pieces until I decided it was just Leonard saying..."that's okay, don't worry about it."

Now every morning that I see him I say "Good morning, Leonard."

No comments: