It's a bird...? It's a whaaaat?


It was barely light as I started out on my walk this morning (though already 83º) not far along I saw a night heron near the waterline. They are not afraid of humans and move slowly if one approaches but they do move along. This one was definitely not moving. I walked right up to it and reached out to touch it before I realized this was no bird, this wasn't anything animate, it was in fact a piece of driftwood. The oddest piece of driftwood I'd ever seen positioned there at water's edge looking just like a night heron. (See top photo.) I left it there feeling certain it would still be there upon my return, and it was.

About an hour later, the sun was up and I got a good look at my night-heron-like statue. This oddity was part of a palm tree that had been in the ocean so long that shells, barnacles and various plant life had become attached to it. I was tempted to bring it home but it was heavy and standing about two feet tall would have been unwieldy on the bike. Besides, I enjoyed it so much, I thought other beach goers may also delight in its oddity.

No comments: