The Shell Seekers

Admittedly I'm sick and tired of the media's Irene frenzy. I'm sorry for any suffering caused by Mother Nature but she does that on occasion.

However, Irene's high and violent surf left us with lots and lots of shells... Shells at the tide line as far as the eye can see.
We usually don't have too many shells on our beach, but for the past several days I've come home with pockets full. Including sand dollars, sea urchins, olive shells, paper thin muscles, both sides of various mollusks in all shapes and sizes...
This morning I had to laugh when I saw one very dignified beach walker without his shirt. Thinking to myself "I've never seen Sam without a shirt, it's not that hot... " then I realized he was carrying his shirt and it was stuffed with shells.

So here is a sampling and the only way I can share. The only problem is that I'm running out of space for beach treasures on kitchen windowsill, on coffee tables, etc. I think I'll manage somehow as my treasure trove grows.

Can you imagine a lava rock!?
Love the sea urchins, sand dollars, the rare long and shiny olive shell and the spiral sea auger.
Soft and supple sea flowers attached to a muscle shell. Lovely and tiny but I don't know their proper name.

The sharks eye shell is perfectly named and in all my years, this is only my second one.
Wonder what treasures I'll find tomorrow?

No comments: