Call Me Dolittle

Well, the title of Call Me Dolittle may be a bit misleading. I, sometimes, do a lot. I'm referring to Dr. Dolittle who attracted animals.

Here's my latest two-day saga. Sitting quietly at my computer looking out my front window I saw a rather large creature walking across my front lawn. My first fleeting thought was great dane. An instant later I realized it was a deer.

This is a highly residential area, it is a barrier island and there are no woods or large natural areas to support a deer. I ran outside to be sure I wasn't seeing things and my neighbor came out and asked me if I'd seen the deer. Phew... I wasn't losing my mind, my neighbor saw it too. It disappeared into my backyard and from there who knows. My neighbor drove around looking to be sure it hadn't met an ugly demise on the roads but she never saw it again. Strange, very strange, and no photo because I was too shocked to grab my camera.


The very next day upon arrival at the beach... there was the first turtle nest of the 2011 season. Woo hoo! The cycle continues with turtle tracks telling the tale.

About a mile up the beach on first-turtle day there was quite a sight! A gill net (illegal in FL) had come ashore loaded with grouper, pompano, crabs and what I think is a little Mako shark. Don't know my sharks well but that's a guess. He was maybe 4 to 5 feel long. With an unusual and actually pretty green eye.


Farther still up the beach were two tourist ladies trying to get a washed-up jelly fish back to the water without touching it. Sheesh. I said that if it was on the beach it was probably dead or dying and to let it be bird food. They insisted it was moving and that they could save it. This Dr. Dolittle gave them credit for trying and I didn't even laugh (out loud, that is.)

When I got home, there were three neighborhood cats sitting on my front porch all asking for breakfast. Enough already!

No comments: