Sad and grateful

I started this blog over three years ago at a time when I was very sad and was having trouble finding things to be grateful for. It took a lot of effort to find little joys in life but I did and it helped, a lot.

Oh, but life occasionally throws you a curve ball to see if you've learned your lessons. That happened to me today. I'm sad, very sad, but yes, grateful.

I'm grateful that several months ago I was directed to an Internet WebCam of a Bald Eagle's nest — I mentioned it earlier on this blog. The eagle pair's three eggs were laid, hatched and I've been an avid daily viewer. The eaglets have grown tremendously but are still needing care from their parents.

Unfortunately, the female eagle was struck and killed by an airplane today. To say I am totally crushed is an understatement. I made these eagles (mother, father and three chicks) an integral part of my life. It's almost like losing a beloved pet.
While I am heartbroken, I am grateful for the opportunity to have been able to watch the nest with this feathered family from the start.

To that end I'm sharing some screen shots I have taken of Mama Eagle along the way. She was lovely. She was a good mom and a good mate to her male for nine years. Imagine that!

During a rainstorm she was dubbed "Mombrella" and keeping the chicks dry certainly provided the epitome of a bad hair day.
You will be missed but I'm glad I got to share the nest with you Mama Eagle, you've taught me to be open and caring about nature and all that is good about the world.

No comments: