Final Discovery

Having lived in Florida for the past 13 years (today actually being the anniversary of my move here) I've been privileged to witness our space shuttle launches. Each one has given me chills and produced a lump in my throat if not a certain amount of moisture in my eyes.

Today was special because as the shuttle program is being phased out, this is the last launch of the shuttle Discovery. Discovery's first launch was in August 1984 since then it has made 39 successful missions. One of those missions was to carry the Hubble Telescope into space (and to take astronauts to the telescope for the two subsequent repair missions.)

Unfortunately there were clouds partially obscuring the view today but it didn't diminish the welling feelings in my chest for this spectacular demonstration of man's achievements. Clouds also did not diminish the thunder of the launch which rolled our way after Discovery was long out of sight. It is about 85 miles to Cape Canaveral so hearing the thunder of a launch, even delayed, is amazing. What a privilege indeed to be here!

1 comment:

Leigh Ann said...

Beautiful! I'll never forget the moment I watched Endeavor launch at 10 p.m. around ten years ago. The ground shook, the sound was deafening, and it brought chill bumps to my skin. It was one of the highlights of my life. Thank you for letting me visit with you to see it!

Leigh Ann