Not sapphires

The beach was strange this morning, threatening rain, rough seas, and more stranded Portuguese Men-of-War than I have ever seen.
The farthest point of my walk is two miles and every foot was littered with these strange and dangerous sea creatures. With a little imagination one could almost think someone had thrown sapphires all over the sand.

Some were no larger than the end of my thumb, others were a good 8 inches across and they were everywhere along the tide line. With their stinging tentacles, many stretched out on the beach, it would certainly be a painful swim. This time of year, and in this rough surf, it would probably only be surfers braving the ocean and their wet suits would help with the stings, though I imagine it would be like swimming in vegetable soup with big ol' hunks of veggies bumping into you. Yuck. No thank you.
I'll just pretend they're sapphires.

No comments: