Star light, star bright

Today the beach offered up many delightful treasures. I was there at dead low tide and this close to a full moon the tides are exceptionally low, or high as the case may be. Nevertheless there were lots of shells and sea goodies not already picked over by tourists. I saw about 6 starfish and brought home this lovely one in the prettiest shade of periwinkle and tan. There were also many sand dollar pieces... though no whole ones. Whole sand dollars were plentiful many years ago, but that's no longer the case. I have found a couple but they are a rare thing indeed. 

It was disturbing, yet thrilling at the same time, to also find a HUGE piece of coral which had been unceremoniously ripped from its reef and flung upon the sand to die. Instead of leaving it half buried in the incoming tide, I lugged it home and have it drying on the patio. When it is dry I'll make sure I post a picture for you. I believe it is what is called rod coral, but I'll research it better to be sure.

All in all the beach today was like a nature lover's dream day of shopping, and much less crowded than the mall! Less expensive too!

No comments: