Nature trail

My list of things to do this year included a hike on the nature trail which leads from the big oak (see "Big ol' Tree" in September's blog entries) to a sugar mill ruin about 6 miles away. Since the end of the year is tomorrow, it was now or never for this year, so off I went! What a wonderful experience, though I didn't make it all the way to the sugar mill ruin. Six miles there meant 6 miles back and that just wasn't going to happen! Walking on the beach every day gave me the false impression that I could walk long distances. Oops... I can walk long distances on level, packed beach sand. Walking up hill, down dale, over tree roots, dead branches, through swampy bogs and more was a different game all together. Three miles and I was a whipped pup. Though I was glad to be alone so no one would laugh as I stumbled here, stubbed my toe there and basically walked like an old drunk. I saw lots of birds including a pair of pileated woodpeckers, witnessed evidence of wild boar and thankfully did not encounter the critters themselves. There was swampy black water and cypress trees, lots of hardwood forest, tidal estuaries, and a peacefulness that was all encompassing. Above is a photo of my entrance to this paradise. I'll share more as time goes on.

No comments: