♪♫ One Skimmer Skimming... ♫♪

Like the Partridge in a Pear Tree Christmas song... today I got to witness "One Skimmer Skimming" as I enjoyed sunrise on the beach. This year we have been lucky to have an abundance of Black Skimmers wintering on our beach and though I know they drop their lower mandible and fly along the surface of the water to "skim" their food I had never seen it in action except in some video on the internet. Imagine my thrill at being able to witness this maneuver firsthand. 
He/she skimmed back and forth, back and forth over an area of about 50 yards. At one point he circled me and it was all I could do to keep up. I was tantalized at the speed of flight of this bird.
I have condensed close to 8 minutes of (not-so-perfect) video down to 2:43 and would have been happy to watch more skimming but it started to rain. What you see is what you get. Check it out.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Beachsider, As a long-time fan, I appreciate your new format. It is swept clean as a new dawn,easy to navigate and full of great pix as usual. Nice job. I am not a robot, Bunnie