My first up-close and personal sea turtle... thrilling!

I was walking on the beach early one morning in June and saw ahead what I thought was a big pile of clothes... it was moving so I thought someone had a rough night and was crawling inland. Imagine my thrill as I got closer and saw that it was a sea turtle. A loggerhead I thought. In my years of beach walking I had never actually seen a nesting sea turtle, mainly because they do their nesting at night. Unfortunately I only had my cell phone camera so the photos I took are really grainy but she came ashore (can you imagine dragging your 350 pound body over the sand) traveled almost up to the high tide line, then turned around and went back to sea — no nesting this trip. Maybe she was just checking out the accommodations, but her trek made my day. Seeing videos and photos just doesn't capture the awe of the moment, that is something only my heart can know, but it is a thrill that I'm fortunate enough to reconnect with often. 

Notice the turtle tracks especially visible in the photo on the right, early beach walkers see these almost every morning during turtle season, a sure indication of Mother Nature at work.

No comments: