A little crabby



While walking on the beach one morning I passed a crab that looked like it was dead. It was not moving, and they usually skitter away when a threat approaches. It looked like it had been harmed in some way and I thought its innards were hanging out. Thinking it would be good food for the birds, I left it alone. As I passed it again on my return route, it looked right at me and raised a claw in defiance. I then realized that it was a she, and those weren't her insides hanging out, they were eggs. Lots and lots of eggs. I took her picture and tried to snap another one from a different angle, but no. She was not going to take her eyes off me, spun right around to keep an eye on me. If she had been any larger I would have been terrified of her menacing look and threatening demeanor. I've been crabby at times but this little girl certainly earned the name and gave crabby a whole new meaning. 

No comments: