Guarding Ms. Ducky


I was amused when I saw the golf cart crossing sign and two ducks waiting at the edge of the street to cross by the sign. As I approached on my bike, I realized that the little female duck was taking a bath in the puddle left over from the night's rain shower. The male duck was carefully watching over her industrious personal grooming.
She was quite intent on her task... dipping and cleaning under her wings each in turn, cleaning her feet, swishing her feathers in the water then shaking the water out of them. All the while the male was looking left and right like a palace guard.

Not wanting to get too close, I kept my distance but stood by for at least three minutes and they never ventured from the spot. She continued her spa treatment the whole time, without even giving me a glance. A golf course pond was very close by but she chose this tiny little puddle at the edge of the road. Wouldn't have been my choice but I'm no duck.

Finally, I moved along but was touched by what a sweet gesture the male duck was making. Now the question... is this normal behavior? Do male ducks protect their females in this fashion or am I just being anthropomorphic? I'll have to research that but the tender moment seemed real and it was one I'll cherish for a while.

No comments: